Chicago! Winter is here and we’re already feeling dry and discouraged! Luckily, we have a little salvation for your dry locks (not so much for Chiberia but we’ll do our best to fix that, too).
#1 : Detox!
Detoxifying shampoos tend to get a bad rap but we consider this a vital step in the hair care process. Over time, your scalp is building up all the residue from products, oil & dirt (our hair goes through a lot) and this residue not only dries out your scalp but also weighs your hair down. Many times we have clients come in with dry flakes and they think it’s dandruff (two different things) and all they needed was a little detox and moisture. There are color safe detoxifying shampoos! I repeat, there are color safe detoxifying shampoos! We’re going to highlight Kevin Murphy’s Maxi Wash because it’s (color safe), gentle and really helps to strip out any impurities in your hair.
The key with Maxi Wash is that a little bit goes a long way!
- Wet your hair in the shower.
- Lather the Maxi Wash until it turns white in your hands.
- Push the maxi wash through your wet hair. You don’t need to scrub it into your scalp like a shampoo (less work for you)
- After about 3 minutes rinse it out and apply shampoo and conditioner normally.
** Expert tip – applying a hot towel to your hair while the maxi wash is in your hair will allow it to penetrate deeper into your hair folicle, meaning a deeper clean!
We also offer this Maxi Wash in mini size for $5 if you want to try it out!
#2: Use a good hydrating shampoo and conditioner
Our hair needs the extra love in the winter. Just the way that you transition to a slightly heavier skin care regimen in the winter, you should also upgrade to a little heavier shampoo and conditioner to help administer some extra moisture to make up for what we’re losing. Depending on your hair texture, we’ll list some suggestions for a little more moisture in your daily routine (and all Kevin Murphy Wash & Rinses are Color Safe).
For Fine to Medium Hair :
For Thick/ Coarse Hair:
#3: Use a masque once a week!
We’ve been doing deep conditioning masques like crazy this winter because our hair NEEDS them! You may not have all the fancy tools at home that we have here, but you can bring home a deep conditioning masque and do your hair a favor.
First things first, you really only need to use the masque once a week or once every two. Listen to your hair! If you feel like your hair is getting a little more oily than usual, cut down on how much or how often you are applying the masque. If you feel like your hair is still dry and brittle, maybe use it a little more often.
- Shampoo your hair normally.
- Apply the masque and massage into hair and scalp. Be careful not to use too much. You probably only need a quarter size amount unless you have really long hair.
- Leave the masque on for 5-10 minutes. This is usually the time I take to shave my legs and belt out the latest ear worm I’ve had stuck in my head for the past three days. To each her own.
- Rinse out normally and feel the difference! Your hair appreciates it.
- Now I have 4 different masques I can suggest based on your hair type. They’re all amazing, I swear.
For Fine Hair:
For frizzy or coarse hair:
For weathered, color treated hair (softening):
For very thick, coarse or curly hair (extremely heavy masque):
In conclusion, your hair is your baby…. And more than likely, your baby is dry! Moisturize your baby, and prevent dry flakes and split ends. Help us help you!