Even if your new hairstyle is perfectly executed, the wrong cut can highlight your face in a negative way. Why is this? Because hair styling is all about geometry and shapes, and you want to put the right frame around a client’s face to balance and bring perspective to their facial shape. When determining the right shape for a new hair style, you want it to accomplish two primary things:
- The new style will minimize the facial attributes the client isn’t pleased with.
- Promote as well as compliment the features they feel positive about.
Once the style is chosen, the texture and color then compliment their facial shape even more. At Salon 833 hair salon Chicago, our stylists are true professionals when it comes to determining the cut and style that will fit a client’s face. However, you still want to be vocal about your wishes. Sometimes, we have no choice but to listen to a client who has their mind stuck on one specific style, and if it won’t compliment their facial shape, they sometimes have to learn that lesson on their own. With that being said, a professional hair stylist will be vocal with you about your choices, so you should really listen to their opinion.
Determining Your Facial Shape
Oval Shaped Faces
- The length should be equal to 1 ½ times the width.
- The forehead and jaw are the same width.
- More curvilinear in shape.
Round Shaped Faces
- The length of the face is equal to the width.
- The face is more circular in shape.
Heart Shaped Faces
- More narrow near the jaw line.
- The forehead and cheek bones appear wider than the jaw.
Square Shaped Faces
- With an angular jawline, the forehead appears strong and broad.
Diamond Shaped Face
- The cheekbones appear high and wide.
- The face narrows at the forehead and jawline (similar to Scarlett Johansson)
Oblong Facial Shape
- The cheek lines are both long and straight.
- The face appears longer than wide.
Finding the Right Hairstylist in Chicago
Our salon is located near Old Town Chicago, and if you know your face shape and are ready for a new hair style, come and have a consultation with one of our professional stylists. We’ll be sure to fit the right cut, style, and color that highlight’s your best features.